Landlords FAQ

Renting a property Questions

Why should I use a letting agent?
Using a letting agent means that as a landlord you don’t need to sacrifice your personal time and take on the associated responsibility for letting out and managing the property. When looking for an agent consider factors such as how they will market the property, how they will conduct viewings, their presence and their available pool of quality tenants.
I don't have the time to manage my property, how can you help?
We can manage the property from start to finish. We will locate the tenant, move them in, keep you up to date on legal recruitments, collect the rent, manage maintenance issues, arrange for EPC’s, gas safe checks. You basically sit back, relax and receive the rent. We take on all the hard work.
How will the rental value of my property be determined?
We will complete a full and free evaluation of your property, taking into account how it compares to other properties in the surrounding area as well as considering local rental market conditions. We can then give you an estimate of its monthly rental value. It is important to remember that if a property’s rental value is overestimated it may result in an extended empty period (void). Get in touch to get a free rental valuation for your property.
Who will conduct viewings and do I need to be present?
This is one of our favourite parts of the job, securing the deal. It makes sense for us to do the viewings, we will go through all the terms with the tenant, try and tie up a deal at the property and also can make an objective overview of the tenants. However, if you want to be around at the same time, that’s fine too!
How do I know I am getting a good tenant?
Finding a quality tenant is so important, not only to you, but for our reputation. At Aycliffe Homes as part of the tenant application process we will:
Conduct identity and residency checks
Obtain credit references
Check employer and current landlord references
Obtain guarantors where necessary
For non-UK applicants we check that they have the ‘right to rent’
Complete a home visit.
If I want to let my property do I need to let the mortgage lender know?
Yes. You will need to obtain permission from your mortgage lender to let out your property. If they impose any special conditions you will need to let us know. If the property has a buy-to-let mortgage then permission has already been granted. While you’re checking this out, it might be worth finding out how long is left on your current term and what rate you are on. Then give us a call and take our mortgage challenge. Challenge us to beat your current rate!
Do I need to change my insurance policy when I let out a property?
In many instances standard home insurance cover will not for a range of scenarios that can arise when letting out a property. It is therefore a good idea to have specialised landlord insurance to cover your property. You will need to insure the property itself and any contents, such as furniture and appliances that you provide. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents left in the property.
What happens with the tenant's deposit once it has been received?
It is a legal requirement that the deposit is registered with one of the three Government approved deposit schemes when the tenant moves in. On our fully managed package we will do this for you. On tenancy only you will be required to do this. Please make sure you do this.
What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and do I need one?
It is a legal requirement for all rental properties in the UK to have an EPC. It measures the energy efficiency of a property using a scale of A-G. The certificate itself is valid for 10 years and can be used for multiple tenancies within that time. The minimum rating is an “E” anything below and until it’s up to standard you can’t rate the property out!
What is an inventory and how does it work?
An inventory is a record of the condition of the property and its contents. Some inventories are supported with photos and / or video inventories. Once it is completed it needs to be checked and signed by all parties when the tenant moves in.
This comes as standard with Aycliffe Homes, No hidden add-ons for such an important part of protecting your investment!
What is fair wear & tear?
At the end of the tenancy when considering any potential deductions from the tenant’s deposit caused by damage, the principle of fair wear and tear is used. Which needs to be taken into account. For example, if a tenant has been in the property for 10 years and the carpets have never been changed, but are damaged it would be fair to say that you can not claim the bond for replacing these.
If I let out a property do I have to provide the tenant with any furniture?
No, it is your choice whether to let out your property unfurnished, part furnished or fully furnished. Any electrical appliances left should be PAT tested and any soft furnishings left must comply with furniture and fire regulations.
Who has to pay the council tax on the property?
A tenant is normally responsible for paying the council tax during the tenancy (as long as this is stated in the Tenancy Agreement). However when the property is vacant the responsibility falls back on the landlord or homeowner.
Who is responsible for the TV licence?
Unless otherwise stated the responsibility is on the tenant to pay for the TV licence.
Who organises repairs and maintenance work?
If you are on our fully managed service, we take full responsibility liaising with the tenant and coordinating any necessary works approved by the landlord. We have an extensive network of trusted local tradesmen and contractors who are regularly used to complete repairs or vital maintenance work when needed. For major works 2 or more quotes will be obtained to ensure the prices are fair. Any tradesman who increases their prices for no reason will be taken off our panel. This ensures fair pricing.
What happens if my tenant fails to pay their rent?
We will chase all late and unpaid rent if your property is either on our fully managed service. Aycliffe Homes can assist landlords with choosing the appropriate course of action should the tenant not clear the debt or if they fail to vacate the premises.